Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

I have an old male. cavalier I rescued m he has not been

Customer Question

Hi Lisa I have an old male.king charles cavalier I rescued him he has not been abused or anything like that his coat was in a mess and very long he has dental problems and a heart murma he has been groomed and medication for his heart and teeth and all of a sudden he has started with a nervous shaking plz can you advice my what I can do to cure please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 7 months ago.
Hello,I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.
If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Max. How old is he? How long have you had him?

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Dogs do not get Parkinson's disease, but there are many conditions that can make them shake. Does he do this all the time, or only intermittently? It could be due to back or neck pain, or it could be a form of a mini or partial seizure. Shaking can also be from aging/cognitive dysfunction.

The cure would depend on what is causing it, so the best place to start would be a thorough physical examination by your veterinarian. If you can make a video of the shaking to show him that might be helpful, especially if it does not happen all the time. If you can make a video you can also post it here, or on the internet and send me the link, so I can see what Max is doing.

Let me know what else I can answer or help with. Rebecca

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Rebecca
I have had max only a few months and he is ten years old he had a lot of matted fur and his coat was very long I have had him groomed right back and had his claws clipped I thought he might be cold it's like a human when we are very cold and we shiver he doesn't do it all the time
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

It could be cold, it could be pain, or it could be some kind of neurologic problem but dogs don't get Parkinson's at least.

This breed is prone to neck pain, so I would have him checked out and see if starting him on pain medication that is safe for dogs and safe for his heart helps him. Dental problems can be very painful as well.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

How is Max doing?