Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My Boston terrier yells when I touch m under s arm and

Customer Question

My Boston terrier yells when I touch him under his arm and hesitant to jump can you please tell me what it migt be ?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
he wears a harness and pulls but I checked underneath his arms I don't see it being sore
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Is he using stairs?

Do you pick him up under the arms?

Is there any swelling around his rectal area?

Has he slipped or fallen recently?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
he went down the stairs no problem
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How could you tell about swelling around rectal area
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He did accidentally land on his left side and missed the couch like three days ago and also he pulls
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's a picture is it swollen
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hope this helps really worried about the little guy

thanks for the additional information and the picture. It doesn't appear that there is any swelling. It is possible that he has injured his back or has a problem with an invertebral disc. An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which in severe cases causes paralyses of the rear legs. In other cases, it just makes the dog have pain when they move in certain ways or stress is put on the discs. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx

Dogs with a disc problem frequently stop jumping an often avoid stairs. In addition, when you pick up a dog under the arms, his whole weight ends up hanging and an enormous amount of pressure is put on the discs in the back. The proper way to pick up a dog is to put your hand on the chest between the front legs and scoop up the rear legs in the other hand and lift up keeping the spine horiontal.

Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

Boston Terriers are prone to disc issues so he may have injured it in the fall. Your vet may need special imaging to rule out a disc injury. If it is a disc injury or your vet decides to treat without imaging with an anti-inflammatory medication, be sure to keep him crated so he is kept inactive. Only allow him out of the crate to eliminate and only on a leash. He may feel like he is healed but he needs about 7 days of inactivity to allow healing to get a good head start. Too much activity and he may reinjure himself with normal movement.

I'd go ahead and have him seen tomorrow so you know positively. If you decide to forgo a vet visit, then you might use aspirin for a day or two and stop for a few days keeping him totally inactive to see if there is improvement. Disc problems are best treated early though for the best chance of recovery.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I forgot to mention that he may have a soft tissue injury of the shoulder or even a rear leg. The aspirin and inactivty will help with that as well.

Just a quick followup to see how Sonny is doing? I hope he is moving more normally now or you have had your vet take a quick look at him. Remember that rating my response does not prevent our conversation from continuing.