Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

My 1 year old dog is drooling and shaking. Sadie, No...she

Customer Question

My 1 year old dog is drooling and shaking.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sadie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sadie?
Customer: No...she was fine outside with the other 2 dogs.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Sadie that has just been sent on to me. Apologies that another expert hasn't been able to answer this sooner for you. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Hopefully Sadie's symptoms have settled a bit now. As you can imagine, there is a long list of possible causes for your girl's drooling tonight including anything from nausea (to due early gastroenteritis for example), through to a toxicity or poisoning, an allergic reaction (such as a bee or bug bite/sting) or even an oral issue (such as a broken tooth or cut lip/tongue. You are going to have to continue to keep a close eye on your girl and if the drooling is still continuing and your girl seems lethargic, then you are best to play it safe and have her checked by your local ER vet tonight if you can.

If you think that she could be nauseous, then you could try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As above, if her drooling is ongoing or you have seen new symptoms develop, then given her age, you are best to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight. Hopefully the parameters mentioned above are all ok. Make sure Sadie has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink as well. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.