DogDoc4U
DogDoc4U, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years
53976849

When I got home from work I found that my dog was walking

Customer Question

When I got home from work I found that my dog was walking very slow, with his head down. Has no energy & is not interested in anything. But he did eat. He's randomly just standing and staring ahead. He's on atopica for his allergies but has been for years. He's a bloodhound, about 100lbs. Also has a very bad heart murmur.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: His feet are fine. When he walks its very stiff & slow.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Not that I know of, he was fine this morning. I tried to take him to the vet but they were closed.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  DogDoc4U replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

First, are you able to get a resting respiratory rate or how many breaths he takes in one minute? A normal dog will be <30 but with a heart murmur we want to rule out further issues with the heart and if his respiratory rate is >60 then there is cause for concern. In addition, that his gum color is pink and there is no pant, cough, nor abdominal bloating

Expert:  DogDoc4U replied 8 months ago.

My other concern based on the information you have provided is a back injury or pain. Not necessarily doing something like jumping off the furniture and crying out, they can be walking around the house and have a disc herniation because of their anatomy.

Here is more information on this condition:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the back and neck in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the back and neck to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your dog comfortable soon, truly. I am online another 15 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  DogDoc4U replied 8 months ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. I hope your dog is feeling better this morning.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I am in surgery this morning but will respond as soon as I am able...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!