Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My name is ***** ***** and my issue is regarding my 5 year

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** and my issue is regarding my 5 year old Jack russels sensitive tum. He was on a wheat free lamb and rice food, but intermidently had a noisy stomach and kept looking at his tum/bottom. Then he had a week of throwing up bile but whilst still eating and pooing perfectly fine. The vets put him on Royal Canin Gastro intestinal tins, little and often and an antacid once a day he improved, I put him back on the lamb and rice and he threw up food this time, and it is possible he stole something from my friends kitchen floor to cause this. No bile. I Put him back on the Royal Canin tins and he is ok, but I would say his tum is not 100%, some licking of lips especially int the mornings, now it is uncomfortable again and making noises and he is lethargic, although no vomiting. I am thinking its a case of finding the right food, but I don't know where to begin and perhaps he has an intolerence. Thank you!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I think that's quite alot of detail? What do you mean?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did you slowly wean him back onto his regular diet?

Do you know what he may have stole?

Have you put him back onto the antacid?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
HI there, I could probably have weaned him slower to be honest. But I am not sure his regular diet was working for him lately. No I haven't given him an antacid today. And I have no idea what he could have stole sadly. I could have been an old piece of meat or a fresh one, or veg.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if we aren't sure what he had, that does make it tricky to appreciate if it is our culprit. Fatty or old meats could certainly trigger these signs. Or if it was a onion or garlic; that could also cause GI upset in dogs.

In any case, if he is not 100% at this stage and we are hearing that gurgly gut, then we’d want to put him back onto an antacid as well at this point. We can use that with the Royal Canin diet until he is settled. As well, if he has a lot of gurgling in that GI, we may also want to consider treating with a canine probiotic (ie Fortiflora) to normalize the gut microflora +/- activated charcoal to bind any excess gas present.

Afterwards, I would note that if the Royal canin agrees with him, then he can stay on that diet as long as he is comfortable. Though if you are keen to change foods then we’d need to do so gradually (literally over a week and perhaps a bit longer if he is known to be sensitive). Any quick changes (just as them eating something their GI isn’t used to) can trigger what we have seen here.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** an alternative diet that he will do well on, we’d want to aim to use one with a similar ingredient list to the Royal Canin diet. This is because we know that he does tolerate this one and thus is unlikely to have anything he may be sensitive to. So, if we follow their composition, it will help us select an alternative diet that will likely work for him. Though again if he does well on that diet, we could just keep him on that.

Overall, we do need to tread with care if he has a sensitive stomach. The above would be our plan of action in this case. And if he ate something he shouldn’t have, this could have caused this most recent flare up. Though if we see this often, we may need to have his vet check for underlying issues (ie pancreatitis, IBD, etc) to make sure there isn’t a root cause predisposing him to gut upset in general.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** most helpful. Can I get the canine probiotic without going to the vet? Also do I need to go back to the vet for the antacid or again, can I get that without going back. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome,

All of those are available over the counter, so you don't have to go back for those. Fortiflora and similar products are carried at most pet stores or even available via sites like Amazon. In regards ***** ***** we can use OTC human ones for our dogs. Common pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid),Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac),or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet).

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you again. Best wishes, Karen and Obi
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome, Karen. :)

Best wishes to you both too,

Dr. B.