How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 23829
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dog weighs 4 lbs swallowed 1 2000 IU vitamin D tablet,

Customer Question

Dog weighs 4 lbs swallowed 1 2000 IU vitamin D tablet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Princess 3years
JA: How old is Princess?
Customer: 3 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Princess?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

A 4lb dog needs to ingest ~1800 IU/lb of body weight of cholecalciferol (the most common form of vitamin D3) in order to risk renal failure. 4 lbs x 1800 IU/lb = 7200 IU - far in excess of the 2000 IU Princess ingested. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner.

(Please check if the vitamin D3 were calcipotriene instead. It's not likely but the toxic dose is less - ~ 730 IU/lb - still not a danger to Princess.)

Related Dog Questions