Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

S breath smells like alcohol. and there is no etoh in the

Customer Question

His breath smells like alcohol.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: and there is no etoh in the house. This has been 2 weeks like this. Lucas, 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about There?
Customer: no, he is healthy - Cockalier
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had concerns about his blood sugar as his water consumption is quite high. Could alcohol smelling breath indicate high blood sugar?

Hello again

Thanks for waiting, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. If Lucas is not showing any other symptoms of any kind and seems normal in every way then this is a strange sort of situation but something which I have encountered from time to time. It could be due to something simple such as tartar { brown deposits } on his teeth or some other mouth problems such as mild ulceration on his tongue or elsewhere.

2. But if he is drinking excessively as well then you could be looking at diabetes or kidney disease since abnormal smells on the breath are often reported in these diseases and excess drinking is the hallmark of these diseases.

3. What to do about it? : Sadly there is little that you can do on a home remedy basis in this sort of situation, but given the excess drinking it may be wise to have your vet check Lucas over, a quick blood test can often reveal the causes of excess drinking ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Abnormal smells, yes... but more specifically has an etoh odor been reported with DM or Kidney disease?

Hello again,

Yes, in the textbooks the odour associated both diabetes and kidney disease has been described as a faint metallic like smell, but certainly some clients have told me it smells like alcohol or sometimes pear drops ...

The excess drinking alone is often a cause for concern though ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will take him to his reg doc tomorrow. Thx so much.

Hello again,

That's the best thing to do, please let me know how things go. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Lucas's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Lucas is getting on after our recent dialogue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott