PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a 15 yr old Dalmatian and today while pooing he just

Customer Question

Hi I have a 15 yr old Dalmatian and today while pooing he just went down on his back left leg
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is also Is contenannt Basically he fell down on his back left leg as if his weight couldn't take it. He was standing kinda side wards and looked like his left knee was bent and back twisted. He wasn't crying or anything and when I took him to bed for 4 hrs today he walked normal
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello are u there
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for your question today, JACustomer.

Is this dog taking any medications?

Any prior history of injury to his back end?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He is taking metacam anti inflammatory and also he has anal cancer
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But no prior injury to his back

Have any x-rays been performed on his hips and rear legs to see if there are any boney abnormalities present?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He is due an X-ray tomorrow morning but I'm just worried tonight, it's like his left knee is bent and can't take the weight

Do you have a picture of what you're seeing?

From the statement earlier that he was able to walk normally after you took him to bed, it sounded like the knee issue had resolved.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have video

That's perfect! You can attach it here or to a site like youtube and share the video back. Whatever is easiest.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll try you tube
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's uploading name of video is prince Dalmatian
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Might take a while

No worries. I'll be here.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hello

I'm still here.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Video won't upload but sending u pics
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2

Are you seeing any limping when he walks or does he just appear sunken down in the back end?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No he isn't limping he can walk normal only really when he stops he sunken down

It sounds like you're dealing with arthritis here, but it may be time to add in some pain medication as well to help with the discomfort. NSAIDs like meloxicam can only do so much. Once they reach a point of having their back legs go out while performing daily activities, we have to upgrade our medical care for them to compensate. With this said, there's unlikely to be much you can do this evening side from apply some ice packs surrounded by a towel to the hips and knees. This may help alleviate some of the discomfort in both through the course of the night.

Although I cannot watch him walk, based on the first picture I must warn you that it sounds like his time may be drawing near. Once we have to resort to pain medication, the downhill coasting is a gradual but continual one. The day may come where he's unable to rise on his own (you can help support his back end by slinging a towel under his waist and holding him up as he walks).

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish assisting you before you rate my service.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did u see the pics?

I did. See above for my response.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
see mine?

This is my most recent response. If you commented after, it's not showing on my end:

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No he isn't limping he can walk normal only really when he stops he sunken

Yes, that response came before my post, which was in response to that information.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy