Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Sneezes a lot, runny nose (clear mucous) wheezes, Bella, she

Customer Question

sneezes a lot, runny nose (clear mucous) wheezes
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bella, she 's 8. Collie.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: No other medical problems. Except that 2 days ago she tangled with a opposum. Did she pick up germs? Just mentioning that.
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bella. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How long ago did this sneezing and runny nose start?

Is she eating or drinking normally?

Did the opossum bite her? I doubt she would be infected from the opossum until it bite her. If she did get an infection from it, I would expect her to have a fever; can you take her temp with a thermometer?

A clear discharge, and sneezing, may be due to allergies. You could try nose drops for children such as Little Noses, and/or Benadryl. The dose of Benadryl is 1 mg per pound of body weight, so a 50 pound dog would take 50 mg, 2 to 3 times daily.

If she is eating normally then this is probably not too serious. Let me know if you can take her temp, and what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote. How is she today? Was this helpful; can I answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?