Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog has a swelling on the inside of s left thigh close to

Customer Question

My dog has a swelling on the inside of his left thigh close to his belly. Swelling is more than twice the size of his right thigh. He is not in pain and is walking and running around normally. He has a healthy appetite. I just noticed this swelling tonight. This has occurred within the last day or two. Any thoughts please?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There is no wound on his foot.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: BJ
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about BJ?
Customer: No, not that I am aware of. They know that he has small cysts on the one side of his throat. Other than that, nothing.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about BJ. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How old is BJ, and what kind of dog is he? A picture would help, if you could post one.

Can you take his temperature with a thermometer?

A swelling could be an abscess (infected pus pocket), infection, growth, or injury. Is it more red than the rest of his skin? Does it hurt at all when you touch it? If it is an injury, cool compresses (a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a towel works well) may help take down the swelling. If it is an infection, he may need antibiotics. The best way to know what any kind of swelling is would be to do FNA, fine needle aspiration, using a sterile needle to get cells from inside the swelling to look at under a microscope.

Let me know if you can send a picture, take his temperature, or any other question you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you could see my answer! Was this helpful? Can I answer anything else?