How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 24432
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My did might have eaten a bite or two of some sort of plant

Customer Question

Hi. My did might have eaten a bite or two of some sort of plant food fertilizer at my mother in laws house. It was pit on a shrub/hydrangea about a month ago, and it has rained quite a bit since then, but it had not all absorbed into the ground
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She is not sure what it was that was put down, and I'm not sure what to do.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: The dog is almost 4 years old, his name is ***** ***** not sure if this is important, but he had parvo as a puppy
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

The plant foods aren't considered serious toxins unless ingested in significant amounts. When a "bite or two" is ingested transient gastrointestinal distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea might arise but not toxicity. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Feeding and watering as usual is appropriate.

The bone meal and blood meal organic products can be more troublesome because of their additional nitrogen content in the form of nitrates and nitrites but once again a significant amount of these need to be ingested before the mild to moderate toxic signs of gastrointestinal distress might arise:

Common signs to watch for after bone meal and blood meal are ingested (these signs usually arise quickly - within a few hours):

  • Nausea
  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Bloody vomit
  • Lethargy
  • Abdominal pain
  • Bloat
  • Pancreatitis

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.