PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

About two months ago, my 9-yr old silver lab started to

Customer Question

About two months ago, my 9-yr old silver lab started to moan/groan when he looks at us and we thought at first it was cute because he didn't seem to be in pain, we thought he was just trying to talk. Well, fast forward to now and he is clear that he moans/groans when he first goes into a laying down position or when he shifts position. He does have some arthritis but not hip dysplesia and has been on the follwoing since he's been about 3 yrs old: cosequin, tri-cap vitamins, melatonin (he has alopecia and the dermatologist put him on this which works) and most recently we have been giving him previcox (for about 6 mos) for the arthritis. COuld he just be talking to us or is it something more serious?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Barkclay and when he is up, he is very very active, no moaning or groaning then. No lethargy at all.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Barkclay?
Customer: He is full of fatty cysts and has one very large one (larger than a softball but not quite as large as basketball) on his side ribcage.
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

Aside from the moaning, are you seeing any true signs of pain when he's mobile? Any limping or hesitating when sitting or standing? Weakness in the rear end?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sometimes when he walks the top of his front foot would scrap the ground but I thought it was his nails when they get too long, I'll have to keep an eye out. The breeder he came from said there is no hip dysplecia in his family line. But when he gets up from a laying down position, he does get up very slow. And before he lays down, he stretches first. I do notice that as soon as he lays down, he likes his chops every time.

It sounds less to me like pain and more like a groan of relief or relaxation. One thing that you can do is talk to your vet about putting him on some pain medication like tramadol to see if you see any benefit. If the groaning stops or his activity changes/improves, this will be a good indicator that there was a problem to begin with. This medication can be used along side the rest of his medications safely and used long term if needed. It's not uncommon for dogs, especially labs, at his age to need medication for pain as they get older, and not just NSAIDs. If there's no change, he can easily be weaned off and go back to the regular regimen without problem.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish assisting you before you rate my service.