PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My Yorker has a 99.7 temp is that normal, He's really tired

Customer Question

My Yorker has a 99.7 temp is that normal
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: He's really tired today but was on vacation with me for 4 days around another Yorker they played a lot then we flew is him being tired normal
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jasper
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jasper?
Customer: Not really eating or drinking
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) When did Jasper have his last regular meal?
2) Have you seen any vomiting?
3) When was Jasper last feeling well?
4) Any chance he could have eaten something that he wasn't supposed to? Gum? Toothpaste? Medication?
5) Is Jasper diabetic and on insulin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No vomiting ate treats earlier not diabetic and no didn't get into anything

When was his last meal, not just treats?

How many hours ago did he eat these treats?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last meal was Monday night treats about 2 hours ago he has peed as well just tired we had a lot of activities last week that we normally dont

His high activity level could certainly explain why he's tired, but his temperature is considered low. We like to see their temperature between 100.5 and 102.5. Since he's not been eating well and his temperature is low, it won't hurt to give him a small amount of honey or pancake syrup (not sugar free) directly into his mouth. If his blood glucose is low, this should bring it up and may give him an appetite again and give him a little more zest. It will be imperative that he eat a normal meal and not just treats at that time. You'll want to measure his temperature every 30 minutes once he's more perky to see if it's rising.

However, if he doesn't make improvements in regards ***** ***** and lethargy within 30 minutes of dosing, I would recommend seeing a veterinarian soon. Since he's a small breed and not particularly eating well, his risk for low blood sugar is imminent and finding the cause of his low temperature needs to be prioritized. These little tykes can go downhill so quickly because they don't have the caloric reserves of larger dogs. Hopefully the syrup will get him squared away.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish assisting you before you rate my service.

How is Jasper feeling today?