Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My 9 year old Australian Cattle dog was diagnosed last week

Customer Question

My 9 year old Australian Cattle dog was diagnosed last week with lymphoma during a surgery he was scheduled for at the vet. He's been on antibiotics since the surgery and was on pain meds for a few days. We haven't started him on cancer treatment yet because we are waiting for our appointment with the specialist. However for the last few days he's been not eating as much as he normally would. He started giving us a hard time with food after the surgery because we had to put his pills in the food so he stopped eating whatever had the pills in it. Now he seems to just eat a few treats here and there during the day and at night we can get him to eat a tiny bit of food. Saturday we got him to eat some of his dry food at night, Sunday night we were able to get him to eat some chicken and peas, last night he had some of the meat that we had for dinner. He also has been straining to poop during this time. The vet gave us stool softners but Ive only been able to get him to take one saturday night and one sunday night.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Roscoe
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roscoe?
Customer: I dont think so
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

You did not say what the procedure was that Roscoe had but with this diagnosis, I would be really concerned that it may have been going on for some time and this anorexia may be related to his Lymphoma. You have done all you could to get him to eat and take his medications but this is not enough. Something is causing this downhill spiral and I would strongly recommend that you take him back to your vet for further workups a or get an emergency appointment with the specialist. I say this because this cancer can attack many organs and this may be a sign of kidney or liver failure that will require intensive treatment with IV fluids and other stronger medications. Take Roscoe back as soon as possible....this is not normal after any procedure and something more serious is going on with your sweet guy.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta