Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

My poodle has a lrg. Mass on s left p and limps& crie

Customer Question

My poodle has a lrg. Mass on his left hip and limps& crie
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Humphrey has been feeling ill. How long has this mass been there? How long has he been limping?

In general, lumps and bumps on the outside of the dog are frequently benign, meaning that they aren't a major concern in terms of cancer. Having said that, though, there are a percentage of masses on the outside of a dog that can be malignant, and there are also those that are benign but cause an issue because they are either growing very large, interfering with important structures like nerves or blood vessels, or they are continually breaking open and bleeding. An experienced vet can often get an idea of what a lump could be just by looking at it and feeling it. If I’m not exactly sure what a mass is, I’ll sometimes do what we call a fine needle aspirate, which is where we get some tissue for microscopic examination using a small needle. This can help differentiate between benign and malignant types of masses. In cases where I think that the mass is malignant or will continue to cause problems based on its location or behavior (ie: whether it’s broken open/bleeding or bothering the dog in any other way) I recommend removal of the mass.

The limping that you're seeing may or may not be related - if that mass is pressing on something important like a nerve or it's interfering with normal movement of the limb, it could be causing gait abnormalities. Most masses don't interfere with deeper structures, but they certainly can. Limping is very common and can be caused by traumas, strain/sprain types of injuries, infectious disease like lyme disease, or vascular or neurologic issues. Truly, the best thing to do would be to have Humphrey examined by your family veterinarian to sort out whether the mass is causing the limping you're seeing and also to get a better idea of what the mass is and whether any treatment is needed.

~Dr. Sara

Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you.

~Dr. Sara

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.
Hi Dorothy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Humphrey. How is everything going?
Doc Sara