Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I think my dog just swallowed s Kong ball, We were out

Customer Question

I think my dog just swallowed his Kong ball
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We were out playing and he ran over to some water with the ball in his mouth. I went over to get him so we could go home and noticed that the ball was nowhere to be seen. After looking all around the area I gave up, it wasn't there. He must have swallowed it when dramk.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

The problem is that round objects tend to cause obstructions more often than non round objects. So the chance of an obstruction occuring is higher. If this happened in the last hour or so, you might try inducing vomiting but you stand the chance of the ball getting stuck coming back up. You can find out how to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide 3% at this site.

http://www.bichonfriseusa.com/ref/inducevom.htm

This can be repeated ONE time if vomiting does not occur. Feeding a piece of bread and jostling the stomach afterwards often faclitates the vomiting. I would advise a trip to the vet so a stronger medication can be given to trigger vomiting and retrieve the ball before an obstruction can occur. Your vet can also x-ray to be sure the ball was swallowed. Let me give you information on obstruction so you understand why I am concerned.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If an obstruction does occur, you should see an inability to defecate, possible loss of appetite, vomiting and the vomit may smell like fecal matter. AThe longer an obstruction is present the higher the chance of permanent damage to the intestine leading to removal of a portion of the intestines when the object is removed. If your dog displays these symptoms. then he needs to be seen immediately. I would advise that you have him seen sooner so you know if he did swallow it or not and if he did, retrieve it before it exits the stomach.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.