PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My dog is 12 years old, diabetic and now roughly 15 pounds.

Customer Question

My dog is 12 years old, diabetic and now roughly 15 pounds. He lost weight when diagnosed with a BGL over 500mg/dl and my vet placed him on 6-units bid.. He continued to loose weight and urinate several times hourly.. When I gradually increased his insulin level to 10-units and now 12-units day/10-units evening.. My vet became very upset over this decision. Stated that by doubling her initial dosage was not appropriate despite my dog improving in weight gain and activity... Please advise
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry your dog has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chaz
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chaz?
Customer: No she has done complete workup on him.. He is now blind from his condition... Tomorrow she wants to do an insulin curve evaluation to the amount of $160
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Customer thanks for your question.

Are you wanting clarification on why your vet was upset with the increased dosage?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just want his sugar balanced and safely... I am not a vet, however I am a healthcare proffessional... What I did worked now she has me thinking I may have done something counter productive to his health

Has a fructosamine been checked since the increase in the dose?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No tomorrow she will check it as well

Good, that's going to be a very important piece of information in determining where the insulin needs to be.

It will take me about 15 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You're welcome to wait, if you like.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will wait

Generally we start at a lower dose and work our way up to what works because it's easiest on the pet's body and it decreases the risk of hypoglycemia in pets. This is especially important in pets who not only have insulin added to their daily regimen but also have a diet change in place (feeding a lower glycemic index food may result in a lower blood glucose overall). Shifting the insulin upwards without a glucose curve to see how a pet is responding throughout the day can not only be detrimental to their health, but it can also cause death. I can understand why your vet was obviously upset by this decision. On the other hand, this increase on your part has obviously resulted in an resolution of symptoms.

In many pets we start with an "average" dosage for their lean weight size and make increases not based on their weight but based on their response to the treatment. For some small to medium breed dogs, we can see a variation of some needing 5u BID and some needing upwards of 40u BID. It all depends, again, not on their weight but upon their individual needs with diabetes.

Before becoming distraught with worry over whether or not you've caused a problem with your boy, see the results of the fructosamine. This, as you may know, is an average that tells us where the blood glucose typically lingers. If the results are in the right area, your vet may well wish to keep him on the exact dosage that you are using. However, if the glucose is too low, she will likely want to come up a little on the dosage so the risk of hypoglycemia is lower.

Wanting quick results is absolutely expected, but it does take time for a dog's body to adjust to treatment and give us the information we need to best customize a treatment to the patient. As it's obvious that you're wanting to be as involved in your boy's care as possible, so I would talk to your vet tomorrow about regular blood glucose checks that you can do at home. This will allow you to see the benefits of your care and determine if his blood glucose is getting too high at home (basically, you'd be doing a semi-regular blood glucose curve) and then reporting back to her. It is a frustration of vets when owners take treatment protocols into their own hands, but I'm sure there's a happy medium to be had with your vet. Perhaps that is you checking the BG at home and reporting your findings back to her. Some vets will be happy to discuss tailoring a plan more frequently than every few weeks or months. Each client has a different expectation of their vet and explaining to her that your concern over his symptoms is what warranted the increase in insulin may make her realize that you're needing to see that your efforts aren't for naught. Hopefully she's open enough for you to be able to discuss such a manner as treating a chronic illness like diabetes can be frustrating for even the most patient of people.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish assisting you before you rate my service.

Once you've rated, you'll still be able to reach out to me. So, if you wish to speak again tomorrow, I can still help you without a further charge. You'll just need to respond to this same page.

How'd the vet visit go yesterday,Customer

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?