Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I'm ***** *****. My two dogs (wiener and chihuahua pug mix)

Customer Question

I'm ***** *****. My two dogs (wiener and chihuahua pug mix) ran out back to bark at the fence. I went to tell them to stop acting like loons when I reached down to my chug he screamed. He kept screaming while i was trying to get him in my arms and eventually settled down. He's holding his ears down and moving slow when I put him down. I am being careful but he screams at some touches. He finally ate a beggin strip he looked at for awhile.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i lifted him from the front earlier no problem. he's laying around now and seemed to be walking oddly in the rear. He isn't a heavy set dog so he's usually quick on his feet. I had him on his back in my lap earlier and he showed his teeth a bit when i'd start to touch his back leg. I'm wondering if he could of twisted while jumping around. my first fear was that someone through something into the yard that he ate, but he's not vomiting and i thing the bag just blew in on it's own.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your dog is not feeling well.

It sounds like your dog is painful. This could be due to a soft tissue injury such as a sprain or strain injury, however it could be something more than this. Pugs and Chihuahuas are prone to luxating patellas (where the kneecap moves in and out) and this could potentially be related to this. Luxating patellas are often something that is just treated for symptomatic pain unless they are bad enough to warrant surgery.

My biggest concern would be an injury along the spine due to a disk herniation. Given the breed combinations this would be something more major and cause your dog to be a bit more painful than a sprain injury or luxating patellas. This most often presents as acute pain, wobbly walking, or inability to use the hind limbs.

Do you have any dog safe pain medications at home: Rimadyl, deramaxx, meloxicam/metacam, tramadol, gabapentin, or previcox?