Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

I have a 16 year old shih tzu that had a seizure I think

Customer Question

I have a 16 year old shih tzu that had a seizure I think this morning he fell over and went limp was birthing funny lasted about 10 min before he could stand.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Buttons
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buttons?
Customer: He has a heart murmur he has a hard time using his back legs for the last week we carried him to go out. Doesn't like to walk far just sits down. He also can't hear we think
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 months ago.

Hi jaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Your dog may have experienced a seizure. Seizures in older dogs can be due to organ dysfunction such as kidney or liver failure. You can read about seizures and the different kinds here:

A dog may also "faint" in which they fall to the ground usually on their side, stare straight ahead and seem paralyzed which indicates a heart problem.. This is called syncopy and can be read about here:

I would have your dog seen by your vet as soon as possible and limit your dog's activity until she can be seen in case it is heart related and not seizure related. If you have a video camera, and this happens again, taping the behavior will help your vet determine the cause.

Your boy is quite elderly, so definitely have a senior checkup done as well to check for organ dysfunction.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.