Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My puppy tried to poo and it's stuck, Max - he's 10.5 weeks

Customer Question

my puppy tried to poo and it's stuck
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Max - he's 10.5 weeks mini schnauzer
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?
Customer: no - how can I help him poo the rest out
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If the feces are right at the rectum, we do sometimes need to gently manually remove them with a gloved and lubed finger. It can also help to carefully bathe +/- rectally administer a small volume of luke warm soapy water.

Otherwise, if he has constipation in general, you can help him move things along by treating with a GI lubricant. Examples of this are cat hair ball treatment, Lactulose, Mirlax, or food grade mineral oil. For all of these we'd only want to give him a millilitre or two (since we don't want to cause diarrhea) mixed into his food to avoid any aspiration from giving this directly. And if he is prone to this, then we may find that increasing his dietary fiber (ie adding canned pumpkin, all bran, etc) to his meals can help keep him regular and passing stool normally.

Finally, if you try the above and he is still struggling, we can have his vet dispense a min dog safe enema for you to use or have them clean him out with an enema to nip this in the bud.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )