Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My 13 year old miniature schnauzer who is in general good

Customer Question

my 13 year old miniature schnauzer who is in general good health is having problems breathing, she seems to loose her breath and shake. I just hold her still and last night I closed her mouth and blew gently into her nose and mouth which also seemed to help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Missy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Missy?
Customer: No - we walk about 5kilometers every day so she is fit and healthy
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) When did this begin for Missy?
2) What are her symptoms? Is she panting? Breathing through her mouth consistently? Does this come and go or is it persistent? Any coughing? Are you seeing discharge from her mouth or nostrils?
3) Any other pets within the home?
4) Is she boarded or groomed anywhere? If so, how recently?
5) Any other medical concerns at this time?
6) Any past history of medical concerns? Injury? GI problems?
7) Do you have video to share of the episodes you're seeing?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1. Started 3 days ago
2. She just suddenly looses her breath as though she is having an asthma attack. No discharge.
3. No other pets
4. Not boarded or groomed outside of home.
5. Very healthy. Walks 5 kilometers every day.
6. No past medical history
7. Sorry no video

Thanks for your reply. I am going to be on and off of the site today, so if you don't hear back from me within a few moments chances are I'll get back with you again in an hour or two.

Do you mind taking a look at a few videos to see if any of these might show similar episodes?

Is there anything in particular that sets off the episodes? Exercise? Stimulation? Being outside?