Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Hacking cough like regurgitating with a squeak, Shes eating

Customer Question

Hacking cough like regurgitating with a squeak
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Shes eating n voiding but im concerned. Just got her yesterday. Teacup Yorkie 9 wks
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Eating, drinking ang voiding wel
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Where did you get your pup? Pet store? Private breeder?

Did you get to see her home and mom and dad?

has she done it since you got her?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pet Store that gets them from Pure breed i didnt see her home or parents. She has done it since i got her
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She also had a little blood in stool and when i called Puppy store they said possibly parasites...and would have to deworm her again...

Thanks for the additional information. Since she came from a pet store environment, it is likely she has kennel cough. Puppies from pet stores and puppy mills often are exposed to kennel cough. Given her size and age, I'd have her seen as soon as possible by your own vet. Often your vet will go ahead and prescribe an antibiotic to tiny young pups to help prevent a secondary bacterial infection from setting in. Kennel cough usually lasts abotu 3 weeks or so if no secondary infections is present. There is really no way of determining how long she has had it either. Read more on kennel cough here:

Now smaller breeds also are prone to reverse sneezing and collapsing trachea which can also sound similar. You can read about these here:

In addition, I'd ask your vet to check for a liver shunt. Many teacup breeds are that tiny due to having a medical issue that stunts their growth. This is not unusual in pet store pups as they are usually bought from large scale breeder or puppy mills. Pet store will tell you one thing but reputable breeders do not sell to pet stores. Your contract should have a clause in it about congenital defects being grounds for a refund but typically a contract will have a set number of days in which you must find this "defect" and often it is 3 business days. If you are still in NY, here is a site that should be helpful to you.

Here are also some sites that will give you some background on pet store puppies.

I don't mean to be the bearer of possible bad news, but better to find out immediately if there is a health issue with her instead of a year down the road when you might not have any legal recourse. I really hope she just has a bit of kennel cough but get her in to your vet and have her checked over.

The blood in the stool is probably the result of worms or a protozoan infections (coccidia and giardia). Your vet can check for that as well. Be sure he checks for coccidia and giardia as those are common in pet store pups as well. All of these can lead to blood in the stool.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I inadvertently hit the wrong button. I have not opted out of your question. Sorry about that. I'm trying to get that fixed.

Just a quick note to see if you need more help with your dog's issue. If you were satisfied with my response, please take this opportunity to rate.