Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

I got 2 puppies and the same night I got them I saw tapeworm

Customer Question

Hi there, I got 2 puppies and the same night I got them I saw tapeworm and roundworms in their poop. I dewormed them immediately that night with fenbendazole, safe guard powder. I've dewormed them 3 days so far. And my question is are we safe now to hold them, or if they kick our hands or anything for that matter. I'm so paranoid. They pooped on my blanket. And I have torn offthe grass where they ppooped. But th d Yves also had accidents in crate. I used bleach and disinfectant to clean crate and tub.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the puppy can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Snow and oreo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?
Customer: Well, they are both white puppies and there skin is pink. But I'm worried about there anus as is really red I'm not sure if they have eggs around it or not. Or if it's just irritated from pooping worms..
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Fenbendazole is only effective against some forms of tapeworms. It is effective for other types of worms like roundworms and whipworms, so it was necessary to deworm them for those since that is the most common worms found in dogs. Dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms. So I would advise you to wait a week or so and then deworm with praziquantel product to get rid of the tapeworms. Any deworming will need to be repeated in about two weeks to kill any hatching parasites as well.

Now for the most part, you need to ingest eggs generally in fecal matter or fleas to contract the parasite. So if you practice good hygiene after cleaning up or after petting or holding the puppy, you should be ok. I have been breeding rottweilers for 20+ years and have raised 5 children around puppies and none of the children or family have ever contracted worms from the dogs. I do deworm my adults regularly and the pups once they are suitable age. We have the rule that if you touch a pup or go into the whelping area or help clean the area, you wash your hands well. We also restrict pups to one area of the yard to make it easier to disinfect the yard. I disinfect with a mild bleach solution (1 part bleach to 30 parts water). I would restrict the pup to sleeping in the crate until the deworming is finished. Be sure to give the pups a good bath as well being sure to clean the rear as well as possible. The segments of the tape worm resemble small grains of rice and are often visible around the rectum. The rectum may be red due to loose stools which you often see when a pup has paraistes.

If these were my dogs, I would go ahead and have them seen by your vet and shots started and get a dewormer which is more effective and usually very cost effective as well. Drontal Plus will take care of all the normal worms pups contract.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Rose,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?