petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

I've notice dark spots appearing on my dog. She is a

Customer Question

I've notice dark spots appearing on my dog. She is a Cavachon and 3 years old. She has season allergies and has been on Apoquel for quiet sometime. It has helped her with the scratching but not completely. What can I do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Charley
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charley?
Customer: That's my main concern. Thanks
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

If you are noting dark spots and itching in a dog with seasonal allergies, it should definitely be evaluated by your vet. Even though the apoquel seemed to help some, there may be a reason why she still continues to experience some degree of itching. It may be that the apoquel dose needs to be adjusted as can commonly occur. Or even more common is the occurrence of a secondary infection with bacteria or yeast on the skin surface. This can be evaluated by taking a small sample or the surface cell in the areas she is scratching or that are pigmented and looking at the cells under the microscope. If bacteria or yeast are present, they will need to be treated separately with either an oral or topical product as the apoquel has no effect on that.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. Her diet hasn't changed but I've noticed the instant itching. She is on Comfortis so it's bot fleas. She licks her belly and sort of bites her legs and arms, scratches her side and heck area. I've given her some Benadryl too for the time being but it with not much relief. Poor Charley...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Constant itching, not fleas
Expert:  petdrz. replied 7 months ago.

Yes, benedryl would only be expected to possibly help if the problem was allergy only and not due to secondary infections. My bet is that they will find bacteria or yeast. In the meantime, bathing followed up by a moisturizer for dogs to help repair the skin's defective barrier (that occurs in dogs with seasonal allergies) may provide some relief.