PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a pitbull mix, she is about 45-50 pounds, She ate a

Customer Question

I have a pitbull mix, she is about 45-50 pounds
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: She ate a toothbrush and the end of a razor (thank goofdness not the razoe blade part, just the bottom)
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: She did this Friday-Saturday
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: and she is acting like herself
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Am I correct that she chewed up a whole toothbrush and the plastic handle of a handheld razor?
2) Are you seeing any nausea? Vomiting? Diarrhea? Abdominal cramping?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
she ate all her food regularly and has gone to the bathroom regularly. Still begging for food and high energy. She did not expel anything in her feces, but this morning she threw up a little of the razor handle. Yes she did chew up the whole toothbrush and plastic handle of the razor ) which she mostly there up this morning)

Chances are good that since she's a medium-large breed dog that the remnants of the handle and toothbrush will pass on their own. It's a great sign when a dog is eating well and still active, as it means they feel good and the consumption of foreign bodies hasn't caused them to feel unwell. If she continues to vomit up pieces of the handle or toothbrush, I'd schedule an exam for her to be looked at by your vet. Otherwise, you'll want to keep feeding her regular dog food and some canned pumpkin added in wouldn't hurt to help move the pieces through the gut. We usually see most plastics eliminated in the stool between 24-48 hours following consumption. It's not uncommon for small pieces to take longer than larger pieces.

If at any point she seems unwell, is lethargic, her abdomen seems painful, you're noticing persistent vomiting, diarrhea, refusal to eat or drink, straining to defecate but unable to go, etc. this will be when you'll want to see a vet right away.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish assisting you before you rate my service.

Checking in to see how she's feeling today.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
yesterday morning she threw up a little but nothing came up. She is going to the bathroom regularly and hasn't had any issues since.

If the intermittent vomiting continues, this may indicate that her GI tract is irritated. If she's still eating and drinking, try feeding smaller meals more frequently. This may help. It also won't hurt to give her a dose or two of famotidine but if the vomiting persists, it's exam time. Dosage here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

How's she feeling today?