Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

She has been restless the last two nights. Trembling and

Customer Question

She has been restless the last two nights. Trembling and panting. Starts at about 1am and goes to nearly 3. Last night she was only calmed by me putting her out in the cold night.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kinsey, she's 11.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kinsey?
Customer: She's exceptionally healthy. Only needs to go to the vet for shots. My vet said he's never seen a healthier dog, other than my other 3, haha.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: She's on a raw diet
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 8 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Have you noticed any changes in her appetite, water consumption, or urination? Is she on any medications now?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She takes no medication. No change in anything, except last week she got into some pasta and it gave her diarrhea.

Ok thank you,

One thing you can try is to treat her for acid reflux. Acid reflux is more common in older dogs and flares up at night. It can cause panting and restlessness.

Try Pepcid AC 10 mg tablets or Zantac 75 mg tablets.

Give 1/4 of a tablet per each 15 pounds of dog every 12 hours. It can be given long term.

Feed her last meal of the day later at night too which will make her sleepy and will help absorb excess acid in her stomach.

If she is not improved by Tuesday then she is going to need to see the vet because there are many other things that can cause her to be restless at night like metabolic disease or pain.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby