Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Restless and stomach is making noises, - 6yr yorkie, No,

Customer Question

Restless and stomach is making noises
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jack - 6yr yorkie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jack?
Customer: No, he's been relatively healthy with no serious illness
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been showing signs?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Is he drinking normally? Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Since last night he has been adr. Was fine all day, took him for a walk and after he was shaking which I thiught bc it was wet outside. But he was up all night and hiding in the closet and not sleeping in bed with me. His stomach was making noises so I have him 5mg of Pepcid but it didn't seem to help.
He is drinking a small amount of water, but not much. No vomiting or diarrhea.
At time in the night he would lick the air.
He hasn't had anything out of the norm that I can think of, he sometimes gets ahold of small table scraps but nothing significant nor that I can note lately.
Stomach doesn't look bloated and he doesn't seem to mind when I press on it.
His gums look like a pale pink to me though.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

How much does he weigh?

Would you say that the gums are paler then usual for him?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He's only 6lb, just vomited up some yellow bile. They look paler to me. I was going to wait it out but I think it's best to take him to the ER, he's just so tiny. And I wouldn't think an upset stomach would cause him to act this way?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

Now while his signs do fit with a severe gastroenteritis, I have to agree that we need to be very careful with your lad. Now only is he small (and therefore has a smaller body reserve), if his gums are paler that could be an indication of an internal bleed (most likely GI given his other signs). As well, since you gave a double dose of Pepcid for his weight, for him to still be vomiting suggests that we have a severe nausea. Therefore, together these signs do raise concerns of a possible foreign body, ulcer, blockage from possible gut compression (from enlarged organs or masses or even GI based masses). As well, his signs in general also raise concerns of pancreatitis.

Therefore, you have treated the nausea as best as one can at home. So, if he I still vomiting, we would need to monitor him closely, rest his stomach (water can be offered in sips/ice cubes) and plan to see the ER vet or his vet as soon as they are open. That way we can get to the root cause for this, start gut safe pain relief and anti-nausea treatment by injection, +/- gastroprotectants and antibiotics.

Overall, these signs he is showing are worrisome. With his being a small breed without bloating, we'd be less worried about a gut twist but the aforementioned differentials are still a concern here. So, we'd be best to have him seen as soon as you are able. Otherwise, we need to keep a close eye on those gums and have him seen as soon as his vet is open.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?