Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I'm trying to find out if I can give my dog, who has

Customer Question

I'm trying to find out if I can give my dog, who has osteosarcoma, both hydrazine sulfate AND curcumin. If not, which would provide the best benefit for maintaining his appetite and weight.
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I had a dog with bone cancer in the jaw (specific type I don't know) She was given a year to live, at most. Among other treatments, I gave her hydrazine sulfate. She lived three years. A very short time before we had to put her down (with mammary tumors as well as the bone cancer in her jaw), the hydrazine sulfate was removed from the market by FDA. One week after we ran out, she went down hill extremely fast, her mammary tumors grew at a phenomenal rate, and she was clearly suffering from extreme pain. We had to put her down then. My husband has been taking a special formula of Curcumin recently for pain in his joints and has had good results. I only learned today that curcumin is also an MOA inhibitor. I am wondering if giving both would be counter-productive, or even potentially harmful.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Sam is a border collie/Aussie cross, about 65 pounds, and will be 12 years old in July.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: He was also neutered at just a few months of age. -- I understand that is a high risk factor for osteosarcoma in medium/large dogs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 8 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian who works at a practice that combines both Western and alternative practices.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 8 months ago.

I'm so sorry you've been through this loss, and that your current dog has osteosarcoma, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.

To start with, please tell me what your question is for me today. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 8 months ago.

In the meantime, I'll offer the following information in response to your initial question...

It is true that curcumin can act as a MAO inhibitor, but this has only be demonstrated in animals when given intravenously at high doses. There are no studies on curcumin's effect on MAO inhibition in people taking oral supplements -- which have significantly lower absorption and tend to be taken in much lower doses. There are, however, certain supplements and drugs which should not be taken when using curcumin and turmeric.