Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

My 20 pound pup ate an almond. Will she be okay? Well, she

Customer Question

My name is***** 20 pound pup ate an almond. Will she be okay?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well, she ate one almond. She is a small godendoodle and she is 17 months old.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your girl who has just eaten an almond. Thankfully almonds aren't toxic to dogs, so your girl will be absolutely fine after this ingestion. If she had managed to eat quite a number of almonds, then she could potentially have developed some diarrhea or stomach upset, but even that would be unlikely.

Good on you for checking however, as some nuts (such as macadamia nuts) are particularly toxic to dogs. Where possible, try and keep your girl well away from any human food or snacks. There are a lot of human foods that are toxic to dogs (including chocolate and onions as a couple of key examples), and human food is generally very calorie dense compared to what your girl should be eating (a premium dog food appropriate for her size and age).

I hope this gives you some peace of mind! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc