Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

She started sneezing and then ccups. Now she can't lay

Customer Question

She started sneezing and then hiccups. Now she can't lay still. Keeps going around in circles and panting a little heavy.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** I just go her in July. She was a rescue, They said she is about 5 or 6. Have to keep all blankets away from her as she only chews on material items. Only keep sheets near her.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mia?
Customer: No, she is just real timid and like I said I have to watch as she is always chewing on material. She didn't do that tonight though. She was sitting by me when this started.
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Mia. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. Mia's symptoms this evening are a little worrying and the sneezing, panting and restlessness could be a sign of a number of potential issues including anything from an upper respiratory tract infection to gastrointestinal upset or even a toxicity or foreign body obstruction. Hopefully she doesn't chew and swallow that blanket too much, as if she swallowed large pieces of it, there is even the chance that this could become lodged in her intestinal tract. You are going to need to continue to keep a close eye on your girl tonight and if she continues to seem restless like this, then you are definitely best to play it safe and get her seen by your local ER vet if you can.

For now, make sure she has plenty of fresh water available, and do encourage her to drink if you can. Hopefully she is eating as per normal and has no problem keeping food down. Keep her as quiet as you can now, and do try and keep her inside (other than for toileting) for the rest of the evening. Because there are a range of possible causes for these symptoms, it would be good if you can keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Mia and if this restlessness, sneezing and hiccups continue, please definitely get her seen tonight if you can. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.