Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

She has an irritated eye, keeps blinking it, barely keeping

Customer Question

She has an irritated eye, keeps blinking it, barely keeping it open at times. Sometimes is a little red and puffy, and her face folds were a little red earlier too. She is a english bulldog
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the English bulldog's name and age?
Customer: dallas, 6.5 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dallas?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How long has the irritated eye been going on for?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
just today, she seems a little lethargic too. im wondering if its just allergies? her face has done this before with allergies...redness and a tad swollen eyelids but i don't remember it seeming like her eye was irritated

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. While I cannot diagnose this with 100% accuracy over the internet I would say from your description that the most likely thing that Dallas would be suffering from is conjunctivitis which is an eye infection sometimes called red eye or pink eye. This is not uncommon in dogs of all breeds and ages, if this is the diagnosis then very often it not such a serious situation but as you say you would also have to consider allergies, but again these are rarely too serious.

2. There are really two forms of conjunctivitis to consider.

1. Primary conjunctivitis : This is where the infection is in the eyes only, it is usually bacterial in origin although viruses and other organisms can be involved. It will usually respond quickly to antibiotic eye drops put in the eye two or three times a day for five days or so. This may be what is happening in your Bulldog's case.

2. Secondary conjunctivitis : This is where the eye problem is secondary to another more generalised disease in the body. In these cases Dallas will be showing other symptoms as well which would be likely to be of more concern than the eye problem you describe.

3. My advice with any eye problem in the dog would be to take her to your vet and have her checked out, as in my experience you cannot be too careful with eye conditions can sometimes quickly go very badly wrong. If the diagnosis is a simple conjunctivitis as seems likely then antibiotic eye drops will probably be required which are normally prescription drugs which in itself will usually mean a visit to the vet. In the meantime washing out your dog's eye { very gently } with luke warm water four or five times a day would do no harm, and indeed I have sometimes known this resolve things.

4. If what you are seeing has any sort of allergic component then many owners successfully treat it with likes of Benadryl, more info including dose rates here : LINK But again if in doubt get your vet involved.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Dallasis getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his eye problem ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think its pretty much better. Only see it bothering her very rarely. Should i do anything further?

Hello again,

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how things were going. It is very encouraging that Dallas's eye condition is improving, but if it is not 100% right then a course of antibiotic eye drops might help ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok, thanks!

.