petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

My pug ha started rocking her body two nights ago & her

Customer Question

My pug ha started rocking her body two nights ago & her Hound legs don't seem stable. What could this be & how do I fix it? She is 10 years old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: She doesn't seem to have a wound. Seems higher in her legs toward her back
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maggie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?
Customer: She's been playing with the new puppy Frankie. Frankie is 10 weeks old
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Maggie today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

If her symptoms started after she was playing with your new puppy, I would be most concerned with a possible injury. The unsteadiness on her legs makes me concerned about possible spinal disease set off by a bulging or ruptured intervertebral disk. These can occur at any time and the symptoms tend to come on rather quickly. If it is a disk problem, the signs can progress over time and can worsen to the point of loss of function of limbs. I would definitely advise that you have her evaluated by your veterinarian so that a thorough physical exam can be performed and a full neurologic evaluation. If a spinal disc is involved, the neuro exam can help to localize it and determine how severe it is. In the meantime, you could try applying warm compresses to the hip/lower spine area, but I would not offer any over the counter pain meds that you may have access to as many are not safe and may limit what your vet will be able to offer.

Here is a link with more information about disc disease in dogs, and how it is diagnosed and treated.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you! Would getting her a dog wheel chair now help to keep her from losing full use of limbs?
Expert:  petdrz. replied 7 months ago.

No, I would recommend doing that if she can still walk and it may just make her struggle more and hurt her back further. I would definitely follow up with your vet and in the meantime, keep her quiet with NO running or jumping.