PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Can have a dog as my guide because of my disabilties

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am a 100% disable veteran, with PTSD and TBI, I have trouble remembering things and my pet helps me. he knows how I feel and comforts me. I really need him at my side everyday, he sleeps and eats with me everyday. he will not move from my side until I move. does not matter where I go. He will sit and wait, wait , wait. No movement until I'm ready. I really need him to help me through my day.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have talked to my doctors and they stated it was possible. They would have to get him trained up first.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do have issues remembering things sometimes feel lost. I spent one year tour down range and that did it. came back confused and lost. Rico is the only one that keeps me in place and reminds me when it's time to go to party or walk.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hi JACUSTOMER, there are programs that exist for helping to place veterans with service dogs. If a dog you already owned qualified, I am sure training could take place then. Most often, they have the handler train the dog so that the dog and owner establish a working bond together. A service animal is not a pet, so to speak, but a tool to help people cope with disability (whatever that may be).If you'd like more info, please share you city, state and zip code and I'll do some research to get you in touch with the proper folks who can answer your questions and get you on the road to getting into a program that can help.
Hi Gabriel,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rico. How is everything going?