PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I Have a 5.5 year old Frenchie he very active I noticed a

Customer Question

I Have a 5.5 year old Frenchie he very active I noticed a few days ago he stopped jumping up on the couch he waits and looks pitiful looking up at you he's like saying are you gonna pick me up on to the couch or what.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Did u get my message
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: dont know
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: absolutly
JA: Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the dog behaving differently?
Customer: such as
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Harley
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harley?
Customer: he's seen a dematologist for an infection
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) When did this start?
2) Does he still jump down once placed on the couch?
3) Have there been any episodes to suggest pain, such as vocalization?
4) Is he taking any medication regularly?
5) Any past history of injury?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
a few days ago, and he does jump down from the couch I cant think of any episodes for pain and he is taking antibotics and an itch medicine and there are no past history of injury
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
are you still available to talk or are you exiting the call

If it does not make improvement soon, it would be wise to schedule an exam for him. Small breed dogs are predisposed to a condition known as intervertebral disk disease which may present itself anywhere from soreness all the way to paralysis. This type of concern usually keeps them from wanting to jump onto or off of surfaces, and may well cause mobility issues as time progresses or if the condition worsens. Most dogs, at least during the initial presentation, have some soreness and issue moving at least some part of their body (a range of motion test can be performed by your vet to see if anything from stem to stern is off on your kiddo).

There's more info here:

Because he's on other medication, I would recommend reaching out to the prescribing veterinarian to ensure that they're willing to allow you to treat a few days at home. Canine-safe NSAIDs are ideal, but you can give aspirin in a pinch. More information:

During a physical, your vet is likely to recommend x-rays to be sure nothing underlying is missed and may place your boy on canine-safe NSAIDs, muscle relaxers and pain medication, as well. Kennel rest is typically recommended. Within a few days, he should be back to feeling like himself. It's also likely that they will recommend avoidance of allowing him to jump onto and off of elevated surfaces as this increases the risk for injury. Pet stairs are available and recommended for just such a concern.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish answering your question before you rate my service.

I'm still here if there are further questions.