Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.

Laceration on the leg, dog is shaking, They wrapped the leg,

Customer Question

Laceration on the leg, dog is shaking
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: They wrapped the leg, I think it's stopped the bleeding.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Roxie, 8 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roxie?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Roxie has injured her leg but if the laceration isn't very bad or too deep, then you may be able to treat it quite successfully at home.

The following is what I'd suggest:

1. If the bleeding appears to have stopped with a compression bandage, then I'd remove it so that the leg can be treated. Daily bandages can be applied but care should be taken that they're not too tight since this will compromise circulation (and the leg may swell). If the wound doesn't look too bad, then a bandage may not be needed at all.

2. I'd gently clean the area with dilute over the counter Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea)...once a day, if bandaged; otherwise twice a day.
If you have something with Chlorohexiderm in it such as Hebiclens, that would also be acceptable.

Avoid hydrogen peroxide which can retard healing.

3. Then, I'd apply a small amount of antibacterial ointment or cream such as you'd use on a wound for yourself. Application of this sort of ointment or cream will also prevent the bandage from sticking when it's removed.

4. A perfect product for this sort of problem would be Vetericyn spray which may be available at local pet or grain stores. I know it can be purchased online but this won't help you now unless it's shipped overnight. This particular product can facilitate healing of just about any skin lesion.

5. If she's not currently taking any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory or steroid drugs and isn't vomiting, then she could be given Aspirin at a dose of 10 mg per pound of body weight, with food to avoid stomach upset. This drug contains anti-pain properties as well as anti-inflammatory ones.

6. Hopefully, she won't lick or chew the bandage or the laceration (if a bandage isn't applied) but if she does, then she may need to wear a cone for a few days to prevent further damage to the area although I know she won't thank me for the suggestion.

If the wound appears to ooze or becomes really inflamed, then systemic antibiotics may be needed which would have to be dispensed by your vet.

If the wound is really large, then surgery may be necessary to repair it, unfortunately.

I hope this helps and that she heals uneventfully. Deb