Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 2 yr old yorkie vomitted at around 11pm....i didnt see it

Customer Question

My 2 yr old yorkie vomitted at around 11pm....i didnt see it but i heard her doing alot of licking. Then she would not come to bed. I picked her up, she was shaking and panting and some saliva. And would not stay still. Not running but semi fast walking throughout the house on to the bed and then start all over about 13-15 times. Then i noticed she was drooling. It is now 4:13 a.m and she going thru this. I felt her body and try to see if anything hurt but got no indication of pain. She seemed to not like me petting her head and back of neck, which she normally loves. She will not lay down tho. She is finally being still but will not put her head down. As i am typing she jusr started to kind of whiny cry, very low. I think its because she is exhausted. Please help. Oh and she wont eat or drink anything either......all shots current
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can she keep any water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has she had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Her gums are pink...she is semi growning like she wants to bite. And drooling is worse. Her stomach feels kind of hard, but she is not complaining when i touch it.....i dont think she got into anything. No diarrhea.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did not touch her gums because i was afaid she was going to bite me. She keeps make this growling noise and showing her teeth now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

Do not put yourself at risk if she is growling there.

Though if she is that agitated, I have to say that we need to tread with care here. Especially since we have these neck signs. In regards ***** ***** neck discomfort, if she has been vomiting, she may just have pulled a muscle with the force of doing so or could be reacting to a stomach acid irritated esophagus. That said, as we settle her stomach, we’d want to make sure she shows no other signs of neck pain since it is possible to see issues like meningitis cause both neck pain and vomiting. So, we will want to tread with care here with her and consider seeing her vet once they are open.

Otherwise and much more commonly, we can see primary nausea and vomiting at her age related to GI infections, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (hopefully less likely for her).

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. That said, if she is reacting aggressively, it may be ideal to have her seen just now so that the neck can be checked and injectable anti-nausea mediation can be started. Otherwise, we could consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down or again she is too fractious to treat orally, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. Further to checking for gum moisture, you can instead check that her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing and the neck discomfort raises additional concerns. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, won't let you treat her at home or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, rule out any potential meningitis, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication, gut safe pain relief +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )