Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

This morning my 1 year old boston terrier was making the

Customer Question

This morning my 1 year old boston terrier was making the noises that he makes when he has trouble like breathing. All my boston terriers iv had since I was little do that so i wasnt concerned. But then he vomited and then i began just holding him and noticed he was heaving like he was going to vomit alot. I thought maybe he had got a hold of something the kids had eaten and in turn was sick. Unfortunatly if they get a hold of any people food he usually will get sick so we are very careful that he doesnt but sometimes my 4 yearold still puts something down and he will get it. So i watched him heave like he was going to vomit all through the day maybe a couple times an hour. He only actually vomitted twice and there was not any food in it. It was watery and saliva like. He has layed around alot also of course but still follows me around just not as much as usual. At 5:30 I noticed he was shaking. I held him on my lap with a blanket for a long time. Im concerned. When i bought this little guy i was told he had gotten his first shots so when i took him to the vet he did the booster im pretty sure. But what if they didnt I just got him 6months ago. Could he have parvo or something? Sorry for the long explanation.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Iv?
Customer: I dont think so
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your little guy isn't feeling well, lethargic with vomiting multiple times, and shaking.

Did he eat normally today?

Is he able to keep down water?

He is likely dehydrated because he is vomiting, but if even water is making him vomit you need to take it away from him for now.

In most cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.

More serious causes of vomiting in puppies include viral or bacterial infections, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, congenital internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), or a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction.

In a young dog, especially one that hasn't finished his vaccine series, a viral infection such as Parvo virus or a foreign body leading to a partial or full gastrointestinal obstruction would be the most likely cause and both can be deadly.

Not all dogs with viral infections run a fever initially, sometimes they are too weak to mount a fever response. Worms can cause loose stools, but rarely cause vomiting and lethargy.

I understand your concern because you aren't sure whether he truly had vaccines before he came to you. The good news though is that you know he received at least one, and he's a bit older so his immune system has had some stimulation and is stronger than a very young puppy's would be.

Most of the time with Parvo virus we see profuse bloody diarrhea too. He may still develop that, or this may be a different virus.

Because he is young, this has been going on all day, and he is lethargic ideally he would see a veterinarian now. Puppies dehydrate easily and he would benefit from fluids and an anti-nausea injection.

If that isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but we cannot replace in clinic intravenous fluids and injectable medications so if he isn't responding quickly he should see a veterinarian promptly.

If you cannot have him examined tonight to try and settle his stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and may help him feel less nauseous and hopefully stop the vomiting and improve his appetite. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow his stomach to settle after the acid reducers.

In a couple hours if he seems more settled when you give him water make sure it is in small amounts only. If he drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. To get some electrolytes in you can also offer her a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.

If there is no vomiting for 6 hours, or by tomorrow morning if it is late where you are now, offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get additional fluids into him. If he refuses that, you can offer a little meat baby food. If he refuses both then don't push it, he needs hands on veterinary care as soon as possible.

But if things go well and he does eat the bland diet and doesn't vomit feed him the bland diet for 3 to 4 days then slowly start to mix back in his regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert him back to his regular diet.

If he continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower than normal temperature (less than 99F), has a tense painful belly, or if he refuses to eat even after the acid reducer is given he should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs, intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, thank you, ***** *****