Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Dog is twitching every 30 sec or so, reminds me of episode 2

Customer Question

Dog is twitching every 30 sec or so, reminds me of episode 2 yrs ago when he got into trash and had similar symptom & had to stay over night at vet with muscle relaxer - should I be rushing him to vet now?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Twitching
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: No pain evident
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Percy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Percy?
Customer: He is 15 yrs old & has a arthritis
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

Which part(s) of Percy is twitching please? You appear to be describing a partial simple seizure (previously called petit mal) which is described as abnormal sensory or motor activity involving any part of the body and which can be associated with autonomic signs (salivation, vomiting). Can you upload a video of his twitching to YouTube and then give me the link to it? Remember to not mark it as "private".

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I took Percy to the vet shortly after I submitted this question as the symptoms were worsening and seemed similar to a previous episode he had subsequent to eating garbage (accidently, he does not usually have access to trash) and at that time it was diagnosed as Mycotoxicosis and he had to stay overnite in the hospital and be decontaminated and given muscle relaxer. However, happily, this time vet said it was probably marijuana toxicity, not sure how he would have gotten into this and not sure how she knew as his symptoms on physical exam (hyperesthesia, ataxia, dribbling urine) was this and not some other type of poisoning... Anyway she sent us home saying it would pass in 48 hours at most, which it did - twitching gone by the end of next day, urine dribbling lasted a bit longer but now seems resolved. Very relieved since Percy is 15 years old - he is also an 8 year lymphoma survivor.Thanks for the follow-up - I know the question is not one to ask online as could be emergency but with 5 cats (3 elderly) and 2 dogs (1 elderly) I am too often driving the 50 miles round trip to the 24 hour vet clinic in the wee hours in bad weather, and was hoping for an "easy answer" - thankfully it did pass with no treatment needed, but I always think better safe than sorry. Elise

Thank you for the good update, Elise. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.