PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

He threw up a couple times yesterday and he has been dry

Customer Question

Hi pearl! He threw up a couple times yesterday and he has been dry heaving
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Yes! He eats anything he can haha
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Elvis and he's 10 month old lab! He is in he normal good spirits but he's dry heaving
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Elvis?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Is he still eating and drinking normally?
2) How often are you seeing the dry heaving?
3) Any change in his stool quality or production?
4) Is he currently on any medications?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1 yes
2 he did it 3 times throughout the night, and maybe 4 times today
3 no but it seems to have dog hair in it
4 no

Excellent. It will take me about 10 minutes to type out a detailed response for you.

As you well know, dogs who eat thinks that they shouldn't eat can cause problems. Labs are at the apex of our concern because they love to explore their world by putting everything in their mouth.

Intermittent vomiting is not too concerning in a 10 month old lab unless it does not stop, at which point we become concerned that Elvis could have eaten something that has caused a blockage.

You can use the following steps to rest his GI tract. If he does not stop vomiting by tomorrow morning, I would schedule an appointment for him with your vet to be sure that you aren't dealing with something more major like a blockage.

First, pull up food and water for at least 2 hours. At the beginning of that time, give a single dose of famotidine to help calm his stomach. Wait the full 2 hours and monitor for vomiting. After the 2 hours are up, start with small amounts of food and small amounts of water. I recommend using a chicken and rice mixture which you can make by boiling down chicken breast and white rice until mushy. Give 1/4 to 1/2 cup of this hourly until he reaches the 5-6 hour mark and then increase the amounts from 1/2-1 cup each hour. So long as he makes it to the 12 hour mark, you should be past the vomiting. However, if he continues to have the intermittent vomiting during the time you're trying to rest his GI tract or it continues progressively forward, it's time to see your vet. Not only will they be able to perform a physical to see if anything is awry but they can also administer injectable medications that will work faster and more effectively (without risk of him vomiting them back up).

Famotidine dosing info:

If you see that this is a persistent issue with him, I would recommend working on kennel training where you can ensure that he does not have a chance to eat anything while you're not able to watch him. This can be instrumental for dogs who tend to get into the trash or shred toys in the absence of their owners.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish answering your question before you rate my service.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well he only vomited yesterday, but now he's dry heaving. Is your recommendation still the same?

Yes. It's a good sign that undigested food is not coming up. It's still important to try to rest his GI tract. The famotidine itself should help with the dry heaving, unless something underlying is causing the symptom to be present. In some cases, injectable medications are needed to break that cycle of non-productive vomiting.