Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

She got a hold of one of my ambien and I think a baclofen,

Customer Question

She got a hold of one of my ambien and I think a baclofen
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: ok, cool. She is whining, agitated, distressed, vomited once, and very wet mouth
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Yes, she got a hold of one of my ambien and a baclofen
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Daisy, she's 4 1/2 months. Chihuahua, 9 lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?
Customer: No, she otherwise healthy
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago?

Was was the milligrams of each?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello again,

Now as I have been awaiting your reply, I have been looking into the strength of these drugs. Considering this relative to Daisy's weight and the fact she is showing signs already, I am quite worried about her and we need to be proactive here. Especially since Baclofen can cause signs within 15-30 minutes post ingestion. And I suspect that is the culprit for the signs we are seeing just now. In regards ***** ***** effects both drugs can cause GI upset (vomiting, drooling, diarrhea), wobbliness, weakness, panting, confusion, elevated heart rate, and tremors. The extra problem here is that Baclofen can also cause breathing issues due to paralysing the diaphragm and that could cause collapse, seizures and be fatal.

Therefore, with her already showing signs, it would be highly advisable to have her to the ER vet immediately. They can decontaminate her stomach and start her on activate charcoal to bind any non-absorbed drug. Afterwards, they can put her on IV fluids to flush the drug out faster as they provide symptomatic care to counter the drug's effects. And that way we can make sure she gets through this serious intoxication safely.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )