Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

We have a 15 year old Border Collie mix that is extemely

Customer Question

We have a 15 year old Border Collie mix that is extemely sensitive to touch almost everywhere, but especially on his feet, chest, and sides of his face. I can no longer trim his nails because of it which is causing a problem with him slipping on the non-carpeted floors. He also has problems with his hips and sometimes his upper back and neck. I'm sure there is arthritis going on in many of these places. He is still energetic and likes to play, though we try to keep it low key so he doesn't fall and hurt himself, and he is eating well. His coat seems fine, though it needs brushing to get the dead hair out which is again a problem because of the sensitivity issue. At his age I don't want to put him through anything distressing or traumatic, including trying to lift him into the car for a vet trip. Our vet had told us a few years ago to give him half of a baby aspirin twice a day if he seemed stiff or sore to help with any inflamation, is this still safe at his age? He is the last of 3 that we had from the same litter- one was put down at 10 due to a blood disorder causing severe anemia, the 2nd at 13 due to internal bleeding from a ruptured abdominal tumor or spleen- as best they could tell.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Such as?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.

Hello the original expert you asked for is not online, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you today.

You can use baby aspirin as long as the dog is not on another NSAID from your vet such as Rimadyl.

Aspirin should not be used long term as it can cause stomach ulcers so two or three days tops. I would call your vet and ask for a safer anti inflammatory medication, one that will not hurt the stomach like aspirin has a tendency to do.

Make sure you give food beforehand to coat the stomach.

If you have to move him to get him to the vet it might be easier to put a meal in a crate and then then move the whole crate to the car. This way you are not distressing him. At his age he should be checked for other health issues and the Vet office can clip his nails for you.

Here is aspirin dosing http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Sally G.