Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

I have a 7 pound Chihuahua and last 4 to 5 hours he has been

Customer Question

I have a 7 pound Chihuahua and for the last 4 to 5 hours he has been extremely active. this is very unusua,l he can't sit still. We don't have any medication or chocolate laying around I'm wondering if he got into plant and had a reaction?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Chihuahua boy who seems to be overactive tonight. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. Yes - it certainly sounds like this behavior isn't normal for your boy. It is a relief to hear there aren't any obvious toxins or drugs he could have gotten in to around your home. Other possible causes here include an irritation, an allergic reaction to something, a bee or bug bite/sting, an internal organ issue, or even just a behavioral change due to stress/anxiety. You will need to continue to keep a close eye on him for the next hour or two if you can. If he seems distressed or anxious right now, then you are best to play it safe and have him seen by your local ER vet now if you can. For now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If you think that he could potentially be having an allergic reaction then you may want to try a little Benadryl - the typical dose is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Benadryl in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl . Best of luck with your boy and hopefully he settles soon. Try and calm him and get him to bed, but also make sure he has plenty of fresh water available as well. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.