Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a 10.5 old golden mix and he's got arthritis in on

Customer Question

hi ***** ***** - i have a 10.5 old golden mix and he's got arthritis in on hip/leg pretty bad - but other than that - he's amazingly happy and healthy. he falls every once in a while, and we have a lot of steps in our house, but i'm not sure what to do - we have an appt with the vet on friday to see, but it's like one bad leg - and the rest is puppy-ville! in "one" hip
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: just a limp leg - which causes some falling - and everyone in a while, an accidental bowel movement in the house -
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pet Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. It looks like the professional you were hoping to speak with is not currently available, so I have stepped in to help you in their absence. Can you tell me more about your companion? Has he ever had x-rays performed on the hip? On any medications at all?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Rimidal and gabapentin. Grain free diet, geckos amine supplements, salmon oil, heat and massage therapy. We've done it all.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just can't rationalize a new hip when he is 10.5 years old.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Gaclisomine. Sorry spell check sucks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll call if you are available and willing but it's late. So I understand.

No problem. I knew what you meant. I had to inform my family this year that, despite what my phone said, we were not vacationing at "viagra falls". Hehe. Have you tried any msm? Fish oil? Adequan injections? Once we reach a point of using NSAIDs and meds like gabapentin, there's not a whole lot left to do medically if surgery is not an option.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
All of the above.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just don't think a new hip for a 10+ Dog is smart for anyone.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Love the niagra falls fail!! I'm from bufallo. Siri hates me too
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He's not hip to any contraptions and believe me we bought the best

I think you're right. On a dog his age, there's no reason to invest that much for him to (at best) be able to use it for a few years. Not to mention the recovery and healing period.

Contraptions were my next suggestion.

I'm going to opt out and see if another professional can offer any more suggestions. Hopefully someone has a trick up their sleeve you haven't tried yet. It's slow around the early hours of the morning, so you may not hear back from anyone until 6am-10am. Best of luck with your kiddo. He's lucky to have such a dedicated owner in his corner :)

Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

The first thing to do is to be sure this is a hip problem, not a knee (torn cruciate ligments in the knee joints are a common reason for a dog to be lame on just one hind leg) or other joint. Another thing to check in an older golden is to be sure there is no bone cancer.

The accidental bowel movement is a clue that this could be a problem in the spinal cord. So a good exam by your vet and possibly an Xray would be the best place to start.

If this is arthritis, then acupuncture may be of help. Prolotherapy (regenerative joint injection therapy) can help knee and hip problems.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and let us know what you find out and how he is doing.