Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is panting a little with a slight clicking sound. I'm

Customer Question

My dog is panting a little with a slight clicking sound. I'm looking to see if it's a symptom of anything
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It just started and he seems a little pained but nonspecific. He's a 6 year old lab Rottweiler mix
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

The clicking you're hearing is the sound of fluid moving in an airway. It can indicate mucus, pus, or simply saliva in the oropharynx and unless other symptoms of respiratory distress existed - sneezing, coughing, nasal discharge, increased respiratory rate, stridor (a high-pitched sound arising from the lower respiratory tract), or stertor (a low-pitched sound/snore) arising from the upper respiratory tract - simply "watchful waiting" is indicated at this time. We'll need more of a track record before pursuing such a symptom in your RottieX. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?