Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog just froze and started shaking eyes were fixed he

Customer Question

my dog just froze and started shaking eyes were fixed he jump up on all 4's ran upstairs ate dinner and restarted
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He's 3 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Charlie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: I stoked him he seemed comforted. When it was over he couldn't stop kissing me. No vomiting, no froth in mouth eyes just fixed and body shaking
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You've described a complex partial seizure (also called psychomotor seizure) which is defined as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. Most of us will accept one mild seizure monthly before prescribing anticonvulsive drugs for what is usually diagnosed as idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy when such seizures arise between the ages of 1-5 years. Be sure to mark your calendar for this event and for just what you witnessed. Charlie's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if Charlie needs to be medicated or not.

Another seizure within 24 hours of the first is considered clustering and might presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizures don't abate. If another seizure arises within that time frame, Charlie should be attended to by a vet at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?