Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

She has a very swollen joint in right shoulder of front leg.

Customer Question

She has a very swollen joint in right shoulder of front leg. I took her to the vet several months ago and he said it was arthritis, but it is getting worse and sometimes it causes her leg to go out. Could this be something besides arthritis?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: a terrier mix dog
JA: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No, but she doesn't appear to have a problem on her foot. Why do you ask?
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. I'm just trying to get information to help you.
Customer: Ok, but I assume it is more of a joint issue because it is very swollen at times and at other times, it goes down a little.
JA: What is the terrier's name?
Customer: Sara
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sara?
Customer: Not really , other than she is 13 years old. She seems to be in good health otherwise and even has quite a bit of energy.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 7 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I am sorry to hear about Sara's current medical issue with the swollen shoulder. Based on your description swelling indicates the muscle is involved and this is concerning because arthritis does not usually cause swelling of the muscle for say. Arthritis is usually limited to the joint of the pet. I would be inclined to do an x-ray of the limb at this point to look for other causes here involving the bone itself. This is the only way to know for sure if this is arthritis or something else entirely.

Also what medications did the veterinarian put your pet on?

- Dr. H