Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

I have a 17 year old dachshund female not spayed who has

Customer Question

I have a 17 year old dachshund female not spayed who has started spotting blood through her vagina, she also has breast cancer surgery 5 years ago and the cancer has returned very aggressive tumors.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: Diamond,
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Diamond?
Customer: When we had her surgery 5 years ago, she did have cancerous tumors in the breast which had not spread to her lungs and they removed them
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Diamond. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I am worried that both her problems are related to her not being spayed. The estrogen her ovaries is producing will contribute to the breast cancer growing and spreading. The blood from her vagina might be from a pyometra, an infection of her uterus.

The blood from her vagina could be coming from her bladder, so this might only be a bladder infection, that might get better after a course of antibiotics.

If I could, I would palpater her bladder and uterus with my hands to see if they feel normal. I would look at some of the blood that is coming from her vagina under a microscope, and try to determine if this is a bladder infection, or a pyometra.

If this is a bladder infection, a course of antibiotics might treat it completely. If it is a pyometra, antibiotics alone will not control the infection; it will continue to come back until her uterus is removed by surgery, or sometimes it can be treated with a combination of prostaglandins (cause uterine contractions to expel the infection) and antibiotics. Even with prostaglandins, pyometra tends to come back.

The aggressive breast tumors are very concerning. Often breast tumors get infected, so antibiotics might help some, but only surgery +/- chemo and radiation can treat breast cancer.

At her age, I can understand if you are reluctant to put her through surgery. I would try to determine if she has a pyometra, and if she does, she may need to take antibiotics for the rest of her life.

Let me know what other questions I can help with.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

How is Diamond doing?