Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

Our 4 year old dog has started to poop in the upstairs

Customer Question

Our 4 year old dog has started to poop in the upstairs bedroom.
We let him out several times a day and he hasn't done this before.
We have been doing some remodeling to the house, so there have been some changes. Could this be the reason? What do we do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Yes remodeling could very much have an effect on the dog. For them it can be stressful. Is it still going on?

What have you tried so far to stop it?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nothing really. I've never scolded him. He has some anxiety. We've worked with s trainer who has mentioned that.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.

Okay then that is probably what is going on. If there was some fear anxiety then work around the home can cause a dog to backslide, but you do want to be sure there is no health problem as well causing the dog to go more often.

From a behavior standpoint I would take him out on leash and give him a potty command and then reward with something very special such as a hot dog sliver so he begins to see that something really good comes his way when he eliminates outside. I might keep him kenneled or gated off in the kitchen until you can get him over the hump.

I might also try some melatonin to help if anxiety is bad and I would try some relaxing music for dogs to drown out sounds that may be bothersome to him.

Melatonin found in drug stores by vitamins. Dosing

Through a dogs ear

3 hours of dog calming music on youtube to try out