Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

I'm ... I have a rottweiler and he is around 7 months and he

Customer Question

Hi I'm amanda... I have a rottweiler and he is around 7 months and he has parvo per the vet today.. what can I do here at home to help h ok m keep his drink down he doesn't have diarreah but vomits every time he drinks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No nothing at all. He just got sick in a day
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tank
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tank?
Customer: Just that he has parvo and I just need to know what to do to keep fluids in him.
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years.

Did you vet give any shots for nausea?

Are you giving any meds?

Did he send any fluids home with you to give?

Joan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They sent me home with pen. Antibiotic we couldn't afford the rest of the stuff they wanted to send so I just need to k nnk ow if there is a home remedy to keep the fluids down
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

The Vet should have given a shot of Cerenia to help with the Vomiting. It is a prescription medication approved to help with a Vomiting dog. Maybe you can call and get the injection. It is hard to give anything because the dog cannot hold anything down and then it becomes a catch 22 situation. You do should be on fluids sub Q.

You can try a 10mg Pepcid ac to calm the stomach, and hope that will help. That can be give 1 every 12 hours. The stomach is raw from the virus, so it will be a fight. Try some Pedialyte infant eletrolyte replacer for fluids mix in with some plain chicken broth no onion or garlic.

Care credit is a credit care for Pets and you can apply online. Maybe you can get some of the supplies for at home treatment. The big thing is some sub Q fluids and the Cerenia to stop the vomiting and that will give you a little edge keeping the dog hydrated. This is the link for Care Credit for Pets: http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/

When giving fluids do in small increments every 30 mins to try and allow it to stay down.

Honestly your best bet would be to get some help with care credit to get some of the needed medications and supplies.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

How is Tank doing? wanted to check in on him and see how he is doing today. Please let me know.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan