Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Are grapes dangerous to dogs?

Customer Question

are grapes dangerous to dogs?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Yes grapes a documented toxicity to dogs and deaths have occurred in some cases. That said just one or two grapes eaten now and again would rarely present a problem to a dog { Although really it is best to feed none at all }

2. As for the toxic amount the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Centre studies suggest that the lowest documented toxic dose was 10 to 12 grapes in a 20 pound dog. You can check this information and read more on this toxicity HERE

3. If you think your dog may in danger then please get back to me ASAP and I will advise you further.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Snoopy. How is everything going?
Vet_Answers

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Snoopy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning grape toxicity ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott